Has your biology teacher ever shown you how the human body functions? That’s the most basic video of 3D medical animation work in this sector. You might even have seen a 2D video. However, some complex demonstrations need the aid of 3D animation.
At the school level, biology is very basic. Still, if certain concepts are well explained, it is very beneficial not only for a future medical student but for any human being. After all, a patient has the right to know what’s going on in his body too.
You can understand from here that medical animation is a video that illustrates anything related to the human body: normal functioning, diseases, effects of devices, the impact of medicines, the procedure of surgery, pregnancy, injuries, and deficiencies.
So, this covers all aspects of your health. It’s a special version of an educational video that only deals with your body.
Viewers of 3D Medical Animation Videos
Medical animation can illustrate anything. The third dimension gives the flexibility to show the viewer a clear picture of something that he can never see in real.
For example, the exact effect of the medicine on your body. When you take a pill, you can feel better, but you can’t see what is exactly happening inside. In the 3D animation software, the artist creates the human body. Its inner walls become the space where cells and organs act as elements. Using light, motion, and camera effects, the video is made.
There are similar videos on the web showing how bacteria affect the body or how a certain surgery takes place. There are 4 types of viewers with different interests who watch the video:
1. Science Students
All kinds of medical videos are applicable to them. Since they need to learn, it is important for them to see what happens inside the body when certain medicines are taken or a device is used for a procedure.
2. Scientists & Medical Associations
This is specifically for the team of scientists who invent medicines, vaccinations, and various medical devices for doctors’ use. Before any such product goes out into the market, the main inventor must illustrate to his team what he has made.
The medicine industry has been developing fast with time. When scientists come up with new medicines or vaccines, doctors need to update themselves with it. Surgeons need to update with new instruments. 3D animation has made this learning extremely simple and quick for them.
4. Patients & Their Families
You won’t sit and watch how fractures are healed unless you’ve got one yourself. YouTube is full of educational videos you can watch for your knowledge. Moreover, if you are to purchase some expensive device like a hearing aid, you can understand how it works from an animated video.
Benefits of Medical Animation
Each and every person associated with health benefits from the education given in the most effective form. Let’s start with the audience that uses it the most.
For Medical Students
They need to be updated with the latest videos available. From the base to new inventions, they need to know everything as they are the future. This is how 3D animation videos will benefit them:
- Quick & Easy Learning: The major advantage is that students learn and grasp things faster with visual demonstration. Before they even go for lab experiments, they’re aware of what should happen.
- Clarifies Concepts Better: 3D graphics are way clearer than diagrams made on the blackboard. There is, in fact, no comparison. Any doubts that a student has on a particular theory can be clarified with one video.
- Can Go Beyond the Exam Syllabus: Usually, colleges have a fixed curriculum that is updated in intervals. Now suppose, a new vaccine is introduced in the middle of the semester. Due to YouTube, students have the facility to update themselves even if it isn’t part of the curriculum.
Does learning stop after you get your degree? Well, imagine if a doctor doesn’t know that tuberculosis has a vaccine, just because it didn’t exist when he was a student! Or, he can’t cure swine flu because the disease didn’t exist when he was a student!
The point is, once a medical student, always a student. Even after he becomes a doctor, he cannot stop learning.
Following is how 3D animation helps here:
- Can Update Self Easily: When a new technology comes out for a certain surgery or treatment, animation gives a clear demonstration of how it works. All he needs to do is watch a video that might not even take 10 minutes.
- Easy to Train Assistants: Before you start practicing, you need training under a senior doctor. These doctors now have the aid of 3D animation videos to demonstrate how things work to their trainees.
- Can Clarify Doubts of Patients: Since animation makes the concept of a doctor extremely clear, he knows how to share his knowledge with his patient. Nowadays, patients are inquisitive about their problems. Doctors can even recommend them to watch a certain video to understand better.
You know product demonstration videos are gaining popularity. The marketing departments use 3D animation to show how a product works. Likewise, when scientists create a new medicine or instrument, they need to show how it works. In short, they make most of the videos.
- Helps in Spreading Awareness: The tool of 3D animation gives inventors an opportunity to show the exact effects of their product. If it’s an oxygen pipe, they can show its exact structure and how it works with the patient; all through 3D graphics and animation.
- Boosts Sales: Suppose, there’s a hearing aid company with a new technology of machines. They get to demonstrate their product, its USP and brand to the audience using 3D computer graphics. This reaches out to doctors and end-users both.
There’s something every working professional should know: you benefit only when the end-user of your product or service does.
In the medical field, it’s for doctors and scientists both. If medicine has too many side effects, patients will look for alternatives to treat themselves.
- You Become an Educated Consumer: For a doctor, a patient is a customer. He can’t fool his patient anymore. Google and YouTube have given them enough knowledge to know how things work. If you’re asked to take steroids, you can look up for its effects and a video will explain best what it will do to your body.
- You Get an Efficient Team of Doctors: In the end, if a medical student or doctor learns out of a video, the knowledge is applied to you. Anything that improves their skill and efficiency has a direct impact on your health.
The Future of 3D Animation in Health & Medicine
Compared to 2D, 3D has many more uses and benefits. Educational videos are common in medical animation. There are other ways in which you can learn about health and medicine:
- Entertainment: Have you seen Inside Out? It’s an animated film that shows how emotions of a human being work. Imagine a film that only depicts how the human body really works. It’s an interesting & easy way of educating people.
- Games: 3d animation is used tremendously by the gaming industry. Imagine if a game teaches a student how to operate a human body than running around with guns. That’s a fun way of teaching and a productive way of playing.
The above are some innovative ideas to use 3D animation that can even make a normal patient aware of health.
So far, 3D medical animation is all about short educational videos for directly illustrating a viewer’s concerns. As entertainment is being integrated with education very well, a time will come when it might become a tool for institutions too.