If you choose to study while you’re working, which mode of education will you choose? Between online education vs traditional education, the former gets preference only when the aspiring student is occupied with work.
Usually, till graduation, we choose the traditional education. However, when it comes to certificate courses that you can pursue along with college or work, a lot of people have started giving preference to distance learning.
Both methods have got their own pros and cons, convenience and appropriateness. How would you choose it for yourself? Let’s make a detailed analysis of the two.
Online Education VS Traditional Education – Basic Difference Between the Two
When we use the term education, we usually refer to the traditional form of education where one goes to the classroom. It may be a school, college, or a private institute for certificate courses.
These institutes are all established for years and hold a brand value today. For different courses, there are different universities that stand on the top. Students who study full-time are still ready to go to any city for their further education.
On the other hand, online education or distance learning is an upcoming method of receiving an education using technology. The student needs access to a computer, internet, and some privacy to learn with concentration. You can avail yourself it from any online education website.
Classes may take place through live sessions or in the form of videos that can be viewed at any time. Most courses do have live sessions so that students can interact with the tutor as well as other fellow students. These are combined with other course materials that are accessible 24×7.
There are several online education websites that have gained popularity over the years for providing courses in all fields. Some of the popular distance learning courses include:
- Web development
- Courses for high school students
- Business-related courses
- Coding and programming
- Machine learning
Pros and Cons of Online Education
With time, as the importance of education has been increasing, so is the accessibility for obtaining it increasing. The main reason behind the growing popularity of online education is that obtaining a course is a lot easier than going to a top institute.
Following are the pros of online education:
- There are no limitations to the number of seats, hence eligibility criteria are minimum.
- It is a lot more flexible when it comes to the time distributed for attending classes or completing assignments.
- You save a lot of money as the fees are cheaper and you save on transportation completely.
- If you want to pursue a course along with a full-time job or another full-time course, you can easily take out time for online education.
Not everybody prefers taking up online courses. Following drawbacks of distance learning are the reasons behind it:
- It takes a lot of self-discipline to take up the course seriously and finish it.
- You do not meet new people the way you can in a classroom.
- Personal face-to-face interaction with your tutor is still considered important.
- There are no placement opportunities provided by any online learning platform.
- Not all companies give equal importance to online certification courses compared to degrees obtained through good institutes.
Pros and Cons of Traditional Education
There is nothing new about traditional education to discuss with you. We all have been to school and cannot imagine what life would be without it. Most of us have been to college too and so know its importance.
The pros of traditional education include the following:
- It allows you to interact with people, thus helping in your overall development.
- The strict rules and regulations imposed on you make you disciplined.
- A lot of importance is given to examinations, which prepare you for competition.
- Colleges and universities provide placement opportunities to students.
However, these days competition has increased so much that it is not possible for every student to receive an education from their dream college.
Since we give so much importance to the brand name or rank of universities as well as to placement opportunities, the following have now become the cons of traditional education:
- The course fees are becoming excessively high for many to afford. A lot of students are more dependent on scholarships to go to college.
- If you are willing to take up special certification courses, not all institutes are worth it according to the quality of education or course design offered.
- With more and more importance being given to entrance exams and marks, life for students is becoming more and more stressful.
- You cannot pursue a course from an institute along with a full-time job or business as the classroom timings are fixed.
- Today, traditional education has become all about going to an institute that holds a good brand name, even if the faculty changes and degrades.
A Final Comparative Study
So, if you were to choose between online education and traditional education how would you make your decision?
There’s a little solution here – online courses are extremely reasonable, and also available at deep discounts a lot of times. Thus, there’s no harm in trying out a course you’re interested in.
You have been to school, so missing out on traditional education completely cannot be an option to consider. However, if you have financial constraints, there are many institutes that are well known for their degree courses and now provide them both online and offline.
It will take time for distance learning to establish itself completely. As of now, if you make a comparison of online education vs traditional education, the latter is given more importance for school and full-time graduation courses. Online education is a lot more popular for special certifications but will gradually gain importance in resumés too.